The activities of the Advocacy direction are aimed to create and develop mechanisms for protecting the rights of various vulnerable groups of people.
The goal is to convince society and the state of the need to change attitude to social problems: access to legal services, medical care, and protection from discrimination for the most vulnerable people. And to make efforts to solve them.
The result of our joint advocacy efforts with partners will be the changes in Ukraine’s legal reality:
- Creation of mechanisms and procedures for effective investigation of hate crimes (Article 161, Clause 14 of Article 115, Articles 121, 122, 126, 127, 129 and Clause 3 of Article 167 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
- Creation of mechanisms and procedures for compliance with the Law “On Principles of Prevention and Counteraction of Discrimination in Ukraine”, protection of people who have experienced discrimination.
- Improving access to free legal aid for the most vulnerable population groups in Ukraine by improving procedures, mechanisms and tools.
Areas of work:
- advocacy for representatives of HIV-vulnerable people to access free legal aid;
- advocacy for changes in the approaches to the investigation of hate crimes;
- creation of educational content and training for different influence groups (advocates, lawyers, paralegals, police officers and prosecutors).
Do you have questions about the law advocacy area?
Contact Sheilat Afolabi, project coordinator of the Ukrainian Legal Aid Foundation